Transport for London (TfL) private hire drivers must comply with TfL’s English language requirement by 30 September 2021. Are you ready?
TfL’s English Language Requirement
An English language requirement applies to all applications for private hire drivers licences received by TfL. Any application for a new or renewal private hire driver’s licence that was received on or after 14 October 2016 have until 30 September 2021 to provide evidence that they comply with the English language requirement (ELR).
Anyone applying for a new licence or seeking to renew their licence on or after 1 October 2021 will need to satisfy the English language requirement before a licence will be granted.
Meeting the English Language Requirement
- A certificate from one of TfL’s Secure English Language Test (SELT) providers confirming that the applicant’s level of proficiency in the English language is at level B1 on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages: (“CEFR”) or above; or;
- Documentary evidence of a qualification (whether or not the qualification was obtained in the United Kingdom) on the basis of which TfL is satisfied that the applicant’s level of proficiency in the English language is equivalent to level B1 on the CEFR or above.
Examples of suitable evidence
- UK GCSE/O level (or equivalent) certificate at grades A* to G
- UK AS-Level/A level certificate
- UK NVQ*/BTEC/City & Guilds qualification, along with confirmation from the awarding body that the qualification provided is equivalent to GCSE or above (for example, a Blue Badge Guide qualification)
- UK BA Hons, BSc Hons degree or higher i.e. master’s, PhD
- UK HNC/HND qualification
- SELT certificate at B1 level or higher, issued by Trinity College London or IELTS showing proficiency in reading, writing, speaking and listening
Disclaimer: This article is for guidance purposes only. Kings View Chambers accepts no responsibility or liability whatsoever for any action taken, or not taken, in relation to this article. You should seek the appropriate legal advice having regard to your own particular circumstances.
Taxi or private hire legal issue?
If you are facing a taxi or private hire legal issue or difficulty, speak to us today for a free no obligation case assessment.