Transport for London’s new online process makes the entire process applying and renewing taxi and private hire licenses quicker and easier.
You will first register online at the following transport for London Link https://tph.tfl.gov.uk/TfL/register.page?org.apache.shale.dialog.DIALOG_NAME=contactus&displayName=Multi&DocTypeCode=urn:www.civica.co.uk:doctypes:TFLREG&menuId=4
If you have lived in a country other than the UK for one or more continuous periods of three months or more within the last three years, you will be required to fill out separate forms. Our barristers are on hand to direct you to these pieces of information should you require them.
To apply for a license, you will need to meet the following criteria:
- You must be at least 18 years old at the time of applying (although you cannot be licensed until you are 21 years old). There is no upper age limit, as long as you meet the other licensing requirements
- You must hold a full DVLA, Northern Ireland, or other European Economic Area state driving licence
- You must have the right to live and work in the UK
You must also meet certain character and medical requirements.
In order to drive members of the public around you must clearly be of good character. In order for TFL to establish this you will be required to undertake an ‘enhanced’ criminal records check from the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS). Our barristers can provide further information on this area and what it means for your application.
You must be medically fit which means meeting the DVLA Group 2 medical standards. You will be required to go through a full medical examination with your medical notes being assessed also.
The current fees are online at the TFL website however they are listed below for convenience.
|DBS online application||£56.85|
|DBS paper application||£58.85|
|Post Office Check and Send||£7.15|
|Medical||Payable to your GP who can advise you of the cost|
|Knowledge of London written examination
(All London only)
|Knowledge of London appearance
(One off payment)
|Issue of licence fee||£192|
|DBS online application||£56.85|
Becoming a licensed taxi or private hire driver is open to all. If you’re a disabled person and interested in becoming a driver, there are some things to consider. Our experienced barristers can discuss the various medical guidelines that may restrict you should you wish to apply.
Previous Convictions and your ability to apply
Disclosure and Barring service check
If you have completed an enhanced disclosure including both barred lists under the workforce code of ‘Other’ in a relevant occupation, in the last four months, you are exempt for requiring a further check.
If you have any of the convictions below, it’s unlikely that your application will be successful. Before submitting an application, please consider:
- Conviction for a major violent offence (murder, manslaughter etc)
- Whether you have more than one conviction of any type of violent offence in the last 10 years
- If you are still serving a custodial sentence, even if you have been released early on licence or the sentence was suspended
- If you have been convicted, cautioned or subjected to any other penalty for a serious sexual offence (rape, indecent assault, trafficking, possession of indecent images etc)
- Whether you have been convicted, cautioned or subjected to any other penalty for more than one sexual offence of any type, irrespective of age
- Whether you are listed on either the Children’s or Adults’ barred list
- If you have been convicted, cautioned or subjected to any other penalty for touting in the last 12 months or have more than one penalty for touting in the last five years
Please be advised that this is not an exhaustive list, licensing decisions are made on a case by case basis.Our skilled barristers are on hand at all times should you have any questions or need legal advice on your standing to apply for a taxi license.